Open to students ages 9 and up. No previous musical experience is required. Recorder at age 8 is encouraged as a pre-band instrument introduction. Instrument instruction is available for beginning through advanced band instruments (percussion, woodwind, brass).
It is the intention of FAITH Center that students who participate in our instrumental programs will develop a lifelong love for music and their craft, an appreciation and discernment for great music, and that through the disciplines of their study become the whole person that God created them to be.
Band Program (Percussion, Woodwind, Reed) Objectives:
- Receive age appropriate instruction as to the skills required to play the Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Tuba and Percussion. These include: knowledge of the instrument, care and cleaning, tuning, simple maintenance, posture, breathing, sound production, fingerings and valve/slide positions and technique.
- Receive instruction as to the fundamentals of music through the study of Major and Minor scales and etudes, arpeggios, dynamics, articulation, meter, rhythm, key and percussion rudiments.
- Study the standard band and chamber literature in order that they may have the experience of the ensemble and conductor, learn the concepts of musicality, phrasing, application of style, historical techniques and ideas of the composer.
- Appreciate the value of positive critique through performance and discussion.
Band Program Classes:
Level 1: Designed for students with less than one year playing experience. Students participate in May Skill Day. Level 1 students also participate in the Arts Festival. Level 1 classes include:
- Flute 1: First year flute students; age 9 and up.
- Reed 1: First year oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon students; age 9 and up.
- Brass 1: First year trumpet, French horn, trombone, tuba students; age 9 and up.
- Percussion 1: First year drum and mallet students; age 9 and up.
Level 2: Designed for students who have completed Level 1 on their instrument and have demonstrated the proficiency requirements to advance to Level 2. Students participate in January & May Skill Days, the Christmas Concert and Spring Concert.
- Flute 2
- Reed 2: oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon
- Brass 2: trumpet, French horn, trombone, tuba
- Percussion 2: drum and mallet
Advanced: Designed for students who have demonstrated the proficiency requirement for advanced study. Students participate in January and May Skill Days. Students also participate in the Christmas Concert and Spring Concert.
- Advanced Flute
- Advanced Reed: oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon
- Advanced Brass: trumpet, French horn, trombone, tuba
- Advanced Percussion: drums and mallets
Band Program Class Requirements & Supplies:
- Case labeled with students name
- Sturdy Music Stand labeled with students name
- Accessories: at discretion of instructor
- Good Practice Habits! All students must develop a daily practice routine. First-year players should practice 15-20 minutes per day, five days per week. All other instrumental students should practice a minimum of 30 minutes per day, five days per week.
- Band: In addition, all students participating in a band lesson class must enroll in an appropriate band.
- Skill Day Evaluations: In January and May, students must participate in a Skill Day evaluation at which time they will demonstrate their skills to FAITH Center faculty. Skill Day results are made available to students and their parents.
- Performances: As described in the levels above, Level 1 students participate in the Arts Festival, while Level 2 and above participate in the Christmas Concert and Spring Concert.